How boards can steer companies to “build back better”
For boards that are still not unified in their pursuit of sustainability, INSTEAD suggest six ways to help achieve consensus.
- Revisit company statements of purpose.
- Schedule a meeting of the entire board with the sole purpose of discussing sustainability.
- Audit board members’ sustainability expertise and mindset.
- Organise the board in such a way that it can effectively oversee sustainability.
- Evaluate the information provided to the board on sustainability.
- Explore how the firm engages with, and learns from, its critics.
These six actions should help boards develop a comprehensive view of changing ESG factors and better address pressing sustainability challenges facing the communities in which they operate.
How are global organisations adapting their operations for the next normal?
McKinsey & Company
McKinsey & Company’s latest survey of nearly 300 global CXOs across industries and functions found an increased imperative for sales, general, and administrative spend, while adjusting for the next normal with a significant shift towards fewer and lower-cost locations.
COVID-19 Economics Monitor
The latest update of this COVID-19 monitor provides current charts and data on economics including a GDP growth forecast for key international markets.
It also provides up-to date measures of market confidence - for example, although CFO confidence has risen, half of them think it will take until the last quarter of 2021 or later for their own revenues to return to pre-pandemic levels.
CFOs also expect levels of home-working to rise five-fold by 2025 compared to pre-pandemic levels, and forecast higher levels of taxation and regulation in the longer term.